Former Runwell Hospital, Wickford, Essex
Countryside Properties Plc
IDOM provided assistance to the client in respect of the purchase and remediation of a former psychiatric hospital in Essex. The previous use of the site commenced in the mid 1920’s and included treatment and residential units together with secure accommodation for approximately 600 houses together with a school and commercial premises.
The site was constructed with a distributed heating system fed by a central boiler house. While significant amounts of asbestos had been removed in earlier activities, remnant parts of the below ground system were still present.
- Advising client on the appointment of a contractor for the removal of infrastructure
- Asbestos survey of existing boiler house structure
- Assessment of existing reclaimed aggregate stockpiles
- Provision of full-time asbestos Clerk of Works during removal of infrastructure
- Design of soils remediation strategy
- Provision of advice on waste minimization and management of site derived resources
- Design of a four-stage validation strategy including:
- Post duct removal validation and geotechnical tests
- Area validation
- Validation of stockpiled resources
- Post placement soil validation in gardens
- Preparation full validation reports on a phase by phase and plot by plot basis
- Preparation of geotechnical specifications
- General advice to client in respect of contamination and environmental compliance.
- Liaison with local Environmental Health department on scheme.